28 February 2007

February

This is my favourite place to fly a kite. On the cliffs above Kynance Cove which is part of The Lizard, England's most southerly point. I've had a white kite, from a shop called Cornish Kites in the small village of Mullion, for well over 10 years now. It was hand made by the owner of the shop. I had to take it back to be mended after one of the struts snapped after one to many altercations with the ground. The guy who'd made it was surprised to see it, he told me it was a rare kite as he hadn't made many white ones. In the picture I'm flying a more colourful kite I have because I thought it'd be more visible. Yet this one is mass produced and harder to fly. I'm sure there's some sort of moral or lesson in that somewhere!

We were visiting The Lizard not for one of our family holidays but for an entirely different reason altogether, to scatter my brother's ashes. Now a family holiday to The Lizard would involve visits to the following places, but not in any particular order: Cadgwith and the pub, Coverack for the attractions of the Harbour Lights Cafe and an ice cream from the Loft shop, Kynance Cove and Church Cove usually whilst walking the coastal path, Mullion and Mullion Cove sitting in a patch of sun on the harbour wall, reading, or just taking in the scenes unfolding before you, only being interrupted by the necessity of an ice cream or cup of tea from the cafe there and of course the trip to the most southerly cafe for the obligatory cream tea.

As you can hopefully tell it holds good memories for us all and I was able to take comfort from that when being faced with such a difficult reason for being there this time. I found my body relaxing but my emotions being pounded. There's just something about being on The Lizard that seems to make time slow to a crawl and force your body to do the same.

After the trip to court to hear justice being dispensed the needle was bent right past empty way passed the red. I'm taking it easy, recharging and getting my head together. This post is part of that process.

2 comments:

Robbie, Rudolf & Rusty said...

Big hugs. I totally agree. It was nice to see you fight with the kite. So Many memories, and those can never be taken away.

D Baynham said...

I love you Al, and I am here for you. I have been praying for you all over the past week.

I know it has been tough, and a good curry could always help in recharging those batteries ;-)